Go Hiking This Weekend
Summer is officially here, and we are loving the opportunity to go outside! One way to take advantage of the warm days is to leave your workout at the gym and try something new to get your exercise in. Our suggestion? Hiking!
Hiking has many benefits for your overall health including good for cardiovascular and lung health, increases your endurance and bone density, and provides an opportunity for your daily dose of Vitamin D. In addition, hiking has been shown to reduce tension, anxiety, stress, and improves focus. One study even showed that people who are exposed to nature for four or more days show a 50% increase in creativity and problem-solving skills.
10 Reasons to go Hiking This Weekend
- Hiking clears the mind and reduces stress - Going for a hike reduces your blood pressure and cortisol levels producing a calming effect only nature can offer above the benefits of exercise alone.
- Hiking makes us happier - Getting out into nature decreases what psychologists call rumination (these are negative thought patterns that play over and over in our heads).
- Hiking is a better workout than walking alone - Walking or climbing over uneven terrain uses 28% more energy than walking over flat ground.
- Got a problem to solve? Go for a hike - Researchers believe that all the extra mental stimulus we are faced with daily overwhelms our brains resulting in reductions in our cognitive resources, limiting our creativity and problem-solving abilities. Getting out into nature away from these stimuli restores our depleted attention circuits & frees up more brain power!
5. Learn to live in the moment – Leave your cell phone in your backpack and take in the time in your natural environment. No filters out here!
Ready to Go? Pack Your Backpack
So you’ve got your hiking boots on, some good socks that won’t cause blisters, moisture wicking clothes, and your backpack open – what do you need to bring on your day hike? Here are ten essentials to take with you:
- Water & extra water
- Fully charged phone
- A hat
- Post-hike shoes
- First aid kit
- Disposable wet wipes